1800s Brothel Beauty Tips
I love history, especially the history of naughty girls like me. I also believe that history can teach us lots of things, and when you look at women’s beauty rituals back in the day you can use some of their techniques to apply to your own beauty routine.
Many of their beauty routines lead to deformities and even death but there are a few that have been used for thousands of years, that are all natural that you can use today to create a beautiful complexion. So try out the vintage beauty routine below of prostitutes of the past, even proper ladies, to achieve a brighter and clearer complexion.
Brothel Beauty Tips: Los Angeles
Prostitution was big business in late-1800s Los Angeles because it was a real boom town of industry and commerce, so there were lots of rich businessmen and plenty of laborers frequenting saloons and brothels, all with lots disposable income, and what better commodity to spend all that money on, than sex!
Many prostitutes were by far the wealthiest women at the time and some even earned twice that of the average man! So it made financial sense for these ladies of the night to look sexy and alluring all day (and night) long, which meant dressing seductively and using cosmetics to enhance their beauty.
In the Victorian era, pale complexions were most valued, as was “the natural look” for proper ladies. But not every woman was blessed with great skin, so they had to learn how to fake a natural, blemish-free complexion. Different ways to achieve a pale look was using lead and arsenic-based paints and powders to lighten the skin.
A popular skincare treatment at the time was to use an old Chinese recipe which had been around for centuries – pearl powder. It’s exactly what it sounds like, a powder made from pearls, which would be crushed, sterilized in boiling water, then ground into a fine powder and mixed with water to form a cream or ‘paint,’ which was then spread over the skin, left for a time, and then rinsed off.
Even though pearl powder is safe for your face, the Victorian’s would add other ingredients to the mix making it a hazardous beauty routine for their face. They would take pearls and dissolve them in acid along with mixing in talc and bismuth which resembles arsenic then apply this mixture to their face. They also used the pearl powder mixture as a face powder to whiten their complexion and to prevent oiliness.
Pearl Powder Recipe
Use my Pearl Powder recipe below for a safe mixture to use on your face that will leave your complexion looking more youthful. You can use water instead of rosewater, but I use rosewater because it smells so luxurious and it has many benefits too. Plus Naughty Girl Cleopatra used rosewater in her beauty routine.
Pearl Powder benefits:
• Softens and Firms
• Accelerates New Skin Growth
• Regenerates Collagen
• Heals Acne & Blemishes
• Prevents Skin Aging & Deterioration
• Reduces Fine Lines, Wrinkles & Sagging
• Repairs Sun Damaged Skin and Scars
• Reduces Freckles, Dark Patches & Discolored Skin
• Minimizes Large Pores
• Increases Elasticity
• Control Excess Oil
• Anti-inflamatory Properties
• Helps Hydrate
• Aids in Healing Scars, Cuts and Wounds
• Helps to Regenerate Skin Cells
• Cleans Pores and Tones Skin
• Mood Lifter
• Helps with Fine Lines and Wrinkles
• Great Hair Conditioner
• Revitalizes Hair Growth
1. In a small bowl, mix the pearl powder with just a few drops of rosewater until you can make a paste (just use your fingers.) Be careful not to use too much liquid, otherwise you’ll have to add more powder and you’ll end up wasting it. Some pearl powder comes in capsules (it can be taken internally, too) so just open the capsule and sprinkle the powder into the bowl before mixing.
2. Apply the paste evenly to your face, neck and decolletage. Relax for 5-10 minutes while the pearls and rosewater work their magic. Sometimes the mask will start to flake off so best to lay down so it doesn’t get every where.
3. Rinse off the paste and pat your face dry with a cloth (don’t rub otherwise you’ll just irritate your skin and ruin the work you’ve just done.) Feel how supersoft your skin is and, if you do this every morning and/or every night, you’ll soon notice all the positive effects!
You can even use the pearl powder alone by applying to your face before heading to bed or by applying to your face before and after putting on your makeup. It’s great for getting rid of shine!